Flecknoe is a Norse settlement and has been a village since about 900AD. It contains several sites scheduled by English Heritage and was mentioned in the Domesday Book as Flachenho, probably meaning "Flecca's hill". At its peak in the 14th century, the population of Flecknoe was about ten times its current size, before the ravages of the Black Death took its toll.
Flecknoe falls within the parish of Wolfhampcote, which lies at the Eastern edge of the Coventry Diocese, bordering the Peterborough Diocese, and is one of the most sparsely populated rural parishes in the Diocese. The parish includes the hamlets of Sawbridge, Nethercote and Wolfhampcote, as well as several farms. Today, the church has a small but dedicated and friendly congregation.
The current church building, dedicated to St Mark, was built in 1891 with railway money as compensation for disruption to the nearby ancient village of Wolfhampcote. Originally there was a small bell tower but this was removed about 60 years ago when it became unstable.
The church building cost £532 12s 3.5d to construct. Rev RO Assheton, the Rural Dean, acted as honorary architect and donated the fine stained glass windows on the south side which were made up from glass debris which he had been given by a number of other churches. It is not clear whether it was Rev Assheton's lack of architectural knowledge or a lack of resources that led to the church being built on inadequate foundations.
The church is well worth a look inside, particularly our stained glass windows, and we are often visited by walkers and cyclists.
Two services are held each month, a Holy Communion on the 2nd Sunday and a Family Breakfast service on the 4 th Sunday, both at 9.00am. Additional services are held for special occasions, such as Easter and Christmas or on a 5th Sunday as a Benefice service.